Translate

Monday, January 18, 2010

Blue Moon Magic and other fun things

Greetings my friends!

It was a very busy weekend around the Curious Seamstress. Fabric was flying, sewing machines were humming, and the new boxes were being packed with the latest gowns! We have two new offerings, and both have a story.

First up is Blue Moon Magic. This beautiful gown is truly breathtaking. It's styled on a real 1929-1930 gown. It is what I would call 'on the cusp' because it shows a bit of styling from both eras. The cut of the gown, the flow of the skirt, and the fantastic color all make for an amazing evening gown. There are two layers, a top chiffon layer, and a lower, heavier layer. This gown was made for dancing! I know, I spent a couple of hours dancing in it. Just to test it out, you understand!




The undergarments come with it. It really is a gorgeous gown and I hope you'll drop by Blisswood and pick up yours!


The next gown has a bit of a special story. Miss Wilhemina McGillivary contacted me a while back. She is a lovely lady who works and lives in some magical sims. (Miss Willie role plays in the Harry Potter (tm) sims). She had visited Blisswood, purchased some gowns, spoken to me, and I had recommended a few other places to shop. Yes people, if you want to know other great designers, ask your favorite who she likes! I have a very short list of other designers whose gowns I love for one reason or another. But back to Miss Willie. She told me she had been wearing a hat from the Steam Punkin' outfit, and someone asked her what she fed it. I admit to nearly spitting my coffee at that statement! I thought it was extremely funny. You see my dear reader, I don't consider myself a great milliner at all. In fact, as much as I love hats, I don't consider that mine are the top of the hat scale. They're not my focus and passion, though I have studied them to make sure when I do make one it at least comes close to looking like it should. But back to Miss Willie and her hat. She has a family tartan, and she wished a gown based along the same lines as the New Babbage tartan gowns. After speaking with her for a bit, this gown came to mind, and so I made it. The hat is very special, and should you happen to purchase this gown, I would urge you to take a close look at the hat and jabot.




I'd also urge you to feed the hat at least every now and then.

So what's coming up? Well we have a few events in the works. I will be working on mostly Worth ballgowns and reception gowns. Also at least two that are court gowns. Why? Well, the RFL Clothing Fair is coming up in March, and The Curious Seamstress will be in the Paris sim! I'm so excited that I really did shout with joy when I found out! Paris, home of Charles Frederick Worth, the man many consider the Father of Haute Couture. His gowns are amazingly, stunningly, breathtakingly beautiful. His career spans decades, starting in the 1860's designing for Empress Eugenie of France. He was the first to do many things in the fashion industry, such as having live models. Yes I know I'm raving! If you ever had the chance to see a Worth gown and examine it in detail, you would be astonished at the workmanship and detail.

Now I'll take a deep breath, step back, and tell you that from now until the RFL fair, I will be concentrating on doing Worth and House of Worth gowns. Charles died in 1895, but his sons continued the business into the 1950's. I'm looking at gowns, and have picked out 6-8 that will be coming out. I have been collecting examples for over a year and found some that are not commonly seen. I don't want to say which ones, but they are all stunning, beautiful gowns. No recolors, ladies. Any designer who recolors an existing Worth gown should be smacked and told why it's a BAD thing to do. That's really like recoloring the Mona Lisa because you prefer blonds. This clothing is artwork. But back to the gowns. I have tried to pick a range of colors so that there is at least one for every hair/skin type. Most of them can be worn by anyone. Because these gowns are very time intensive to do, and because I'm such a stickler for details and making them look their best, you'll probably just see one every 7 to 10 days. One never knows though, some may come more quickly.

So that is what is up in the Seamstress shops for this week. Do stop by Blisswood. We have a new winter freebie of hat, scarf, gloves AND mittens out. They're gray, what can I say? It's winter! But that hint of spring is in the air! Take care.

Cordially yours,
Kembri
--
The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen

No comments:

Post a Comment